We’ve all been there, staring at a clogged toilet, plunger in hand, wondering if it’s time to call in the professionals. While a clogged toilet is a common household issue, it can quickly escalate into a plumbing emergency if not handled correctly. So, when should you roll up your sleeves for a DIY fix, and when should you dial your plumber?
Remember, toilets are designed to handle paper and human waste. If the clog is caused by anything other than these, like a toy or a foreign object, try to remove the object yourself first. If you can’t, it’s time to call a plumber. A high-quality plunger can be your best friend in times of toilet turmoil. Make sure it forms a good seal around the drain hole and plunge away. If the water level doesn’t go down, you might need professional help.
When to Call a Plumber
- Persistent Clogs. If you’ve tried all the DIY methods and the toilet is still clogged, it’s time to call a plumber. Persistent clogs could indicate a deeper issue that requires professional attention.
- Frequent Clogs. Toilets that clog regularly may have underlying issues, like damaged sewer lines or tree root intrusion. Plumbers can diagnose these problems using specialized equipment like sewer cameras.
- Unpleasant Odors. A foul smell could indicate a hidden leak or a serious blockage. This is a plumbing emergency that needs immediate attention.
- Gurgling Sounds. If your toilet makes gurgling noises, especially when you haven’t recently flushed it, this could signify a blocked vent stack or sewer line.
- Visible Damage. Cracks in the porcelain or widespread rust are signs that your toilet may need to be replaced. Don’t wait for a catastrophe; call a plumber to assess the situation.
While it’s tempting to handle a clogged toilet yourself, there are situations where professional help is not just recommended but essential. Knowing when to call a plumber can save you time, money, and a whole lot of stress. At Troy and Sons Plumbing, we’re a family owned and operated plumbing business that will help you with your clogged toilet, so call us today.